vendredi 16 novembre 2007

La Grève à Paris!!!! (Paris Strikes)


There aren't many things that I hate (a very strong word I know) about France, but I would be lying if I said it was the easiest place to live. Inspired by the current transport strike, here is a list of things that frustrate the hell out of me in Paris.

1) Transport strikes!! After spending 2 hours trying to get home from work, crushed against the door of one of the only operating metros in Paris, having to clutch on for my life at each stop when the door would actually open and I would have to miraculously not fall out backwards with the pressure of the crowd of people on top of me, I realised just how much I hate the bloody strikes in Paris!!! I get why they are striking - the government wants to reform the pension system for railway workers, who have ridiculous advantages due to an ancient law based on difficult working conditions faced by these people in the past - and surprise, surprise, the railway workers don't want to lose these advantages. In a country that has such a history of 'power of the people', France loves a good strike. Well you know what? I don't!!! Surely there must come a time when the railway workers realise they have been lucky enough to have it easy for this long and that there is no good reason for them to be able to retire earlier than everyone else given that their line of work is not exactly hard labour. In a city like Sydney, I'm not sure that transport strikes would have as crippling an effect as they do here, given that there are many people who drive to work anyway, and that there is not just one method for getting around (buses, trains, ferries etc). But in Paris, where the metro is the lifeline of the city - it's hell when it doesn't work!

2) French TV - In my opinion French TV is some of the worst in the world!! Yes I haven't watched TV all over the world, but I can certainly tell you that of all the TV that I have watched, the worst has been in France. When I first arrived here, speaking to my students, I found that most French people had what I thought was a 'snobby' attitude - they all turned their noses up at television and said that they only watched if for the occasional film or documentary. I just thought as usual they were trying to be 'intellectual', but after living here for over a year, I now understand my students - the television is bloody terrible. Basically you can watch the news, a bad game show, or a talk show with a bunch of people sitting around giving me their opinion on some rubbish topic. There are no decent series, or dramas - the only things I enjoy watching are dubbed American series - which is saying something!! For further proof, I used to groan when CSI, Law and Order, NCIS etc would come on back home - I think there was a massive overload of these programs and I couldn't handle them anymore, I used to turn off the TV and walk out of the room. Now, I love them - Les experts (CSI) is one of my favourite things to watch - which just goes to show you the extent of crap that is broadcast over here. You frenchies out there feel free to defend yourselves, and point me in the direction of a good french show.

3) Paperwork and administration - a simple task like going to the post office is not a simple task in Paris. It is an ordeal which takes at least an hour, no matter what time of day, what day of the year or which part of Paris you are in. And the amount of paperwork involved in obtaining information, changing your details, or joining an association is just ridiculous. Every administrative action in Paris seems to require not just a form but a 'dossier' (file) which includes about a thousand things.

And that's enough complaining for the moment - any more and I'll turn into a real Parisian (did I mention the complaining nature of the French also annoys the hell out of me sometimes?!)

Here's hoping that the bloody strike ends soon!

1 commentaire:

Unknown a dit…

Salut and Hi!

Well, I couldn't agree more with you: I left the damn country in the seventies just because I couldn't bear it anymore. And I'm French: born in Paris too.
But be warned: your delighful country, England, where I escaped, is catching up fast with France as far as administration is concerned. You have to produce ID for everything these days and nobody trust anybody anymore. Result: you are always being checked and have to sign endless papers to appease the suspicious attitude of the authorities... Good old laid-back England is fast disappearing....

Catherine MIRA-Moore.