dimanche 19 août 2007

Please Explain

I learnt something yesterday that needs explaining...

I was giving an English ''lesson'' (I was eating an amazing lunch, being spoilt, chatting and getting paid) at a student's home when she asked me if I could explain an English term she saw in a book she was reading. Of course, being the teacher, I was pleased to help her, and hoped that it wasn't some obscure word that I would have trouble explaining. When she showed me the book, it was none other than the abbreviation RSVP. Now for those of you who don't know (I'm hoping most of you do!), RSVP stands for Répondez s'il vous plaît - which is French for Please reply....So can someone tell me why in English we use a French abbreviation, when it doesn't even exist in France?!!

2 commentaires:

Cocokwaze a dit…

Because French rocks!

Unknown a dit…

Ca existe en français RSVP. Sérieusement !

Comme French Flair.

Sinon je voulais dire quelque chose... ah oui c'est pas mal Bird Automatic. J'écoutais Everything in an instant c'est sympa.

A très bientot pour les moutons noirs.